Beyond the Binary: Gender, Sexuality, Power
How Has The Exhibition Been Put Together?
This exhibition is the outcome of a major National Heritage Lottery Funded project which began in 2018, Beyond the Binary: Queering and Questioning Collections and Displays at the Pitt Rivers Museum. The exhibition has been developed in partnership with over forty community partners, from local and international activists to Indigenous artists and researchers. Twelve community curators have worked with the project team to choose themes for the exhibition, have researched material, written text and developed a series of podcasts. Through workshops and events, numerous others have shaped, critiqued and supported the work. The Pitt Rivers Museum is indebted to all those who have shared their time and thoughts, including the project Steering Group.
Acknowledgements and Credits
- Community Curators: Rebecca Colmer; Catherine de Guise (She/Her); Harriet Haugvik (She/Her); Dan Laurin (He/Him); Lance Millar (He/Him, They/Them); Shakira Morar (She/Her); Zoe Nunn (She/Her); Meg Roberts (She/Her); Matthew Scott; Sophie Seeyave (She/Her); Cameron Wallis (He/Him, They/Them)
- Beyond the Binary Project Team: Hannah Bruce (She/They), Project Officer; Mara Gold, Project Researcher; Jozie Kettle (She/Her), Project Curator; Olivia Sharrard (She/Her), Collections and Exhibition Officer
- Contributors: Beth Asbury (She/Her); Braudie Blais-Billie; Dotty Clay (They/Them); Sarah-Joy Ford; Thomas Hendriks; Jason Kattenhorn; Jenna Lee (She/Her); Kelsey Lee; Jessica McMann (She/Her); Oxfordshire Drag Collective; Régis Samba-Kounzi; Jon Sleigh (He/Him); @stickersftw; Stonewall; Trans Happiness Is Real; Valentino Vecchietti (She/Her, They/Them); Elijah Wells (He/Him); Patrick Wolf; Ela Xora; Beyond the Binary Young Filmmakers; My Normal
- Conservation by Andrew Hughes, Jennifer Mitchell and Jeremy Uden
- Photography by Suzy Prior, Henrietta Clare and Ian R. Cartwright
- Digitisation by Philip Grover
- Design and Installation by Alan Cooke and Chris Wilkinson
- Printing by B2B Graphics
- Marketing Design by Creative Jay
- Special thanks to members of the public who attended the exhibition development workshops and events; to the Pitt Rivers Museum team who have supported the exhibition in countless ways; and to the Beyond the Binary Steering Group
- Supported by Heritage Lottery Fund